Monday, March 10, 2014

The Journey

The kids came and now they are gone. All my granddaughters are special, but this one and the one who lives close by seem to have a special link to me. No, they are not my favorites, I don't have favorites, all my girls are wonderful, but I guess I'm closest to these two for some reason. They are both totally different in personality, in their upbringing, even the course they've chosen in life, but there is some kind of bond there.

I hated to see her leave. I know, and she knows, unless something every unusual happens, she won't see me again, nor will I get to see her. Oh, we'll communicate, I know that for sure, but I won't be able to physically wrap my arms around her and tell her how proud I am of her. My third granddaughter is close, so the goodbye won't be for some time yet, I hope. One at a time is about all I can take. Saying goodbye is not easy, necessary, but not easy.

I remember saying goodbye to my father. We both knew it would be the last time, and I know how it hurt me. Mom told me how it hurt Dad, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I have that special memory and will treasure it forever. The same with this memory as I hope she will treasure it.

I also learned today that one of my mentors, a writer I really liked, one who was a real inspiration, has passed on. It's been a rough day. I need a bit of time to regroup. Until tomorrow...

Allison

No comments: