Tuesday, September 05, 2006

@#$%$#^&*#$% Computers

Well, I guess you could say I was letting off steam!

Why, you ask?

You see, I bought a new video card to update my computer.
I read the directions. Piece of cake. Just to be on
the safe side I called my oldest, a real geek, and made
sure I knew what I was doing.

I didn't!

In goes the video card. Down goes the monitor. Out comes
the new video card. In goes the old card. Back comes the monitor.

I read some more.

Okay, I skipped a step. I do the step. Down goes the monitor.
In goes the video card.

Nothing!!!! Absolutely nothing.

I start over. Still nothing. My computer
is running like crazy and I can't SEE A THING!

I start over. Nothing!

To make a long story short. After three hours of attempts to
retrieve the monitor, I had to do a complete recovery my computer.
No problem you say. Well, I don't practice what I preach.
No, I didn't have everything backed up. I lost all the URL's
I'd carefully assembled. I lost all my e-mail addresses.
(I did find that I had a few of those backed up) I lost a
chapter of the WIP. And letters. I lost a bunch of those.

Take it from one who has to learn the hard way.

BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP.

Enough said.

Yes, I'm backing everything up. And I will not attempt
to upgrade my video card again. (I'll use my husband's
computer.)

Allison
www.allisonknight.com
available now, from Wings Press,Inc. "Simon's Brides"
Watch for "Heal My Hurting Heart", coming in December
from Champagne Books.

No comments: