Thursday, June 28, 2007

Making Music with Words

Last night, after listening to the 'second banana'
of an old movie sign to the heroine, I got to
thinking about making music. Not the kind you
make with a musical instrument, but with words.
I'm not thinking of the lyrics of a song, nope,
I'm thinking of the way authors put words
together to make a sentence sing.


Can't be done, you say? I disagree. Just
as an author can paint pictures with words so
they can make music with words. After all, what
is music? Pleasing sounds put together.

Let me give you an example or two.

The phrase - 'soft sounds slipped o'er my soul.'
In writing we call it illiteration. Yet, if you
think about it, it's like music. I can change
the beat of a sentence with words. Hard, short words,
-'The gun cracked. Wood splintered. Screams followed.'
A different kind of music, but music at least to my ears.

Now it's time to make my own music.

Allison
www.allisonknight.com
'It's all about Romance'

No comments: