Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Writing The Short Story

Well, I've discovered one thing. And, no, it really didn't
come as a major revelation.

Short Stories are hard to write.

First, the story should be told in one view point. I don't have
a problem with that, because all the gothics I write are told
by the heroine, her view point but I write those in first person.

The plot in a short story must be simple. And, herein lies
the problem. I have a terrible time. I love to plot, detailed,
complicated plots, involving all kinds of mayhem. To come
up with a simple idea, executable in 2500 words or less is
a real challenge.

I did one short, short story and posted it on my web site.
I've been trying to write another one. Alas, the ideas all
turn into complicated plots, taking pages to unravel. I'm
working on two now, that somehow I must simplify. If I
succeed, I'll post one of them on my web page, with
any luck, in the next week or two.

So, back to trying to unscramble a plot......

Allison
www.AllisonKnight.com
"It's All About Romance"
'Heal My Hurting Heart' now
available in trade paper back
from Champagne Books, Inc.

No comments: