Friday, December 20, 2013

The Journey

I've been thinking (giggling) and that is always dangerous.  The first book I tried to write was a cookbook. My DH panned it, and I never got past more than a few pages, but after almost 70 years of cooking (I did start young) I have collected or invented some marvelous recipes.

Given the desire to write a cookbook, but not wanting to take the time, what I've decided to do is this:
Starting after Christmas,  we do have to get through the holidays, I'm going to start a newsletter about what I'm writing, where we are with Lovesong, and the other books, and in each edition which should come out every other week, I'll include some of my recipes (one or two) and some of the helpful hints I've come up with other the years. Did you know you could freeze milk? When it's on sale, (good luck with that) pour off about 1/2 cup per half gallon and freeze reminder. It keeps well for months. 2% works best.

Okay, don't blame me, blame the hospice people.  They know I love to cook and I've been helping solve a few problems they've had. So why not. I'll be adding a place for you to sign up if you want to receive the newsletter, which will be digital, of course. However, let me share today. (This is an example of what I'll be offering.)

Do you need a quick cookie for a cookie exchange, a healthy snack for the kids, are in a hurry?  This one is great. And good for you.

Peanut butter squares - - -  Less than fifteen minutes from start to clean up.  I promise.

4 cups of a plain flake cereal (Total, Wheaties, Corn flakes - Rice flakes don't work well)
2/3 cup of creamy peanut butter (Natural doesn't do well here either)
1 cup Butterscotch morsels.

Pour the cereal in a big bowl. Put the peanut butter and morsels in a microwave bowl and microwave on high for 45 seconds. Peanut butter will melt and morsel will soften. Stir well. Microwave again for 15 - 20 seconds and stir again. Continue to microwave in 10 - 15 second intervals until the morsels are almost completely melted, stirring frequently after each heating. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and fold gently until almost all the cereal is coated. Pour into an ungreased 8" square pan, pat gently and cool in the refrigerator until firm. Cut into squares.

This is crumbly, but the crumbs go great on vanilla ice cream instead of syrup and nuts, and it's healthier.

You can add candied fruit, raisins, whatever your family likes. My big kids like these without anything. Even our big cat likes these.

So if you like cooking hints or special and different recipes, watch for the newsletter signup after Christmas.

See what thinking can go for you! Told you it was dangerous.  (grinning) And yes, today is a good day.

Allison

1 comment:

Rita Bay said...

MMMM, sounds good. Rita