Sunday, April 06, 2014

The Journey

Heavy weather!  Ugh! We're wet down here. I'd love to give some of this water to some  to the draught stricken areas, but I've said that before. Must be getting bad, when I start repeating myself. (grinning) Let's blame this one on age.

However, I'm nearly delirious. Years and years ago, something during the late 1700's/ early 1800's some of my mother's Dutch relatives came to the US to PA, to settled there. They brought with them a start of their rose bush, a touch of home, or so I've been told. Each one of the children in each generation got a start of that rose bush. I don't know what happened to the other relatives, but Mom gave me a start after I got married and settled into our Michigan home. It was supposed to be our last home. (If she only knew) When we moved after nearly fifteen years in that home, I dug up that bush and took it with me.

Then we retired and moved south. It didn't bloom. In fact, I have only had one rose from that bush over the last eighteen years. But I refused to dig it up and pitch it, although the complaints came from about everyone.

However, this winter it got cold here in the south. So cold in fact that we had a deep freeze. It was below 25 F on a couple of nights and below freezing on several more. Now, I'm not saying that the bush likes cold, or maybe it knows that I won't be around to see it bloom next year. Whatever the reason, my rose bush is full of buds. It only blooms once a season, and the roses are double, a lush rose color, with the most heavenly smell, like sandalwood. One of the buds is getting ready to bloom. I'll ask DH to take a picture and post it when it does bloom.

This is one happy lady today. My rose bush, after eighteen years is going to bloom.... Thank you Lord!

Allison

1 comment:

Liz Flaherty said...

After reading your posts on the PG list, I came over to share your Journey. I'm not sure "enjoy" is the right word, but I've spent the morning with you and HAVE enjoyed your perspective on things. My prayers are with you--I'll visit every day now.